Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Spoleto, East Longmeadow


After many disappointing meals at the Northampton Spoleto, I swore I would never return. The killer was paying $10 for three scallops--not even jumbo scallops--as an appetizer. They served alongside another app, a bowl of undercooked mussels which were unopened. Oh, and I was seated at a table where the floor at my feet was littered with Cheerios left behind by the previous party. Maybe the infant had heard about the food?

Cut to East Longmeadow: My parents were in town--and treating--and big-city caliber fare is hard to find in the East Forest Park area, so I decided to give the two-month old Spoleto a try. It was a weeknight, it was close to home. What the hey.

Well, I have to say, it was a very pleasant surprise! Everyone had wonderful meals! And my folks are pretty darn picky. The bread was hot and chewy. Our side salads were just the right size with crisp veggies and the perfect amount of dressing. The waiter efficient, knowledgeable, and patient. My mom, who loves a good salad, was thrilled with the Traditional Chop Chop because of its size and freshness.

Dad and I both got the seared scallops over striped lobster ravioli in a caramelized fennel cream sauce. Unlike the sad little Northampton appetizer that made me swear that location off, these were big, meaty scallops. There was a pleasing variety of flavors in the dish, and just the right amount of sauce and garnish. It was so rich and filling we were ready to wrap after two scallops and two raviolis, leaving a nice treat for lunch the next day. Prices were pretty average for a mid-upscale place and definitely worth it for the quality.

We also shared a desert and coffee. Best part: The waiter came over and said he was brewing a fresh pot. I always love when someone does that instead of giving you the sludge that has been sitting on the coffee machine since the prep cooks came in at noon. How many times have you had a waiter run by you trying not to make eye contact because there was no coffee made when they took your order and then they have to wait for it to brew.
You know, I hope this place lasts over here in East Longmeadow. We need a good quality place that isn't your typical red sauce and chicken-parm joint. I really think I will be back!


Spoleto East Longmeadow
84 Center Street
East Longmeadow, MA
413-525-0055

No comments: